The PSC Board has created COVID-19 Guidelines for PSC Events. You will need to confirm your agreement in order to register.
Date: April 18 and May 1, 2021 (Rain date: May 8)
Leader: Marlena Bertolozzi
Location: Hidden Lake, Forest Preserve, Lisle, IL
Skill Level: Beginner
This ACA-developed curriculum will teach you the basics of paddling your kayak. Instructors will guide you on:
- Fitting yourself and your gear comfortably and safely in your boat
- Understanding essential gear and it's use
- Techniques to effectively and efficiently paddle your craft in all directions skillfully on calm protected waters.
This program will occur in two parts. Attendees will be expected to attend both parts of the program:
- April 18: Interactive Zoom session covering safety, gear, and other important topics prior to the on-water day to maximize your time on the water.
- May 1: On-water learning and practice session
$20 for PSC members, $40 for non-PSC members
Participants will need to bring their own boat, paddle, PFD, snacks, lunch, and all personal items. Instructors will contact participants prior to the event with special instructions or equipment needs.
ACA membership is required for participation. You will be asked to purchase a $10 one-day membership or supply your ACA member number at checkout.
Registration will close on April 15.
PSC always takes appropriate precautions for your safety. PSC cannot guarantee the elimination of risk of contracting or being exposed to Coronavirus. You are joining this event at your own risk
● When attending a PSC event, you are expected to bring with you a signed copy of the Prairie State Canoeists Combined Waiver/Release of Liability; it must be dated with the date of the event. Participants without this document will not be permitted to participate in the event
● To participate in a PSC event, you must be able to answer each of the following questions with NO on the day of the event. If any answers are YES, you must notify the event leader that you will not be attending. Please ask yourself each of these questions prior to leaving your home:
▪ Have you experienced any of the following symptoms in the past seven days? (unusual persistent cough, unusual shortness of breath, fever above 100.4 F, chills, repeated shaking/chills, unusual muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea)?
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) been in close contact with anyone who has exhibited any of the above symptoms? (Close contact means within less than 6 feet for a prolonged period of time)
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or been advised to self-isolate by a medical professional due to COVID-19 reasons?
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) travelled internationally?
● A face covering must be worn any time you are not able to maintain 6 feet of distance from others
● Participants must bring their own supplies to maintain proper hygiene, including hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol content and a face covering
● Group members are not to share or touch each other’s equipment, with exception of bow and stern toggles/handles to assist with launching, landing and loading boats (excluding members of the same family)
● Participants are not permitted to share food or drink during the event (excluding members of the same family)
● Restroom facilities may not be available during the event. Please use the restroom prior to arriving at the event and bring any personal supplies needed during the event
● Crowded landings because of other groups is an ever-present risk. Please be aware that this may occur at any time and PSC cannot control the actions or safety considerations of those other groups. Please act responsibly to avoid crowds at landings