The PSC Board has created COVID-19 Guidelines for PSC Events. You will need to confirm your agreement in order to register.
Date(s): August 1, 2020
Leader: Tracy Hunt
Co-Leader: Paul Klonowski
Location: Lake Atwood, The Hollows Conservation Area, Cary IL
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Details: FreeStyle Canoeing is the "art and science" of quietwater paddling. It emphasizes smooth, efficient flatwater paddling and precision boat control. FreeStyle techniques can be applied to all canoeing situations, from goofing off on a local pond to whitewater.
FreeStyle canoeing requires no special equipment: just a canoe, a straight-shaft paddle, a life jacket (PFD), and for most folks, a kneeling pad. Prerequisite to this class is the ability to make your solo canoe travel in a straight line.
This class will focus on Introductory FreeStyle technique for the solo canoeist. Bring your own solo canoe, PFD, paddle, and kneeling pad if you have one. Also bring lunch, plenty of non-alcoholic beverages to drink, and dress for the weather – we paddle unless there’s lightning. Bring a couple of complete changes of clothing – we all may get wet.
FreeStyle technique is also used in conjunction with music, creating an expressive, interpretive art form. You can search YouTube for “Freestyle Canoe” for sample videos of this. While Interpretive Freestyle is beyond the scope of this class, we may include short demos as time permits.
This class will be led by Certified Instructors from the American Canoe Association. To learn more about Freestyle Canoeing, visit http://freestylecanoeing.com/
Cost of the class is $50 for ACA members (bring your membership card); $5 additional for non-American Canoe Association members. Class size is limited to 10 participants. FEES TO BE PAID ON SITE THE DAY OF THE CLASS.
To register, contact:
Tracy Hunt firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul Klonowski email@example.com
● PSC always takes appropriate precautions for your safety. PSC cannot guarantee the elimination of risk of contracting or being exposed to Coronavirus. You are joining this event at your own risk
● You must bring the WAIVER for communicable diseases and Wellness Checklist with you. Participants without these documents will not be permitted to participate in the event
● Participants must make their own decisions about joining events involving a car shift/shuttle. Participants will be responsible for making their own arrangements for car shifts/shuttles. PSC event leaders will not arrange car shifts/shuttles for events at this time
● To participate in a PSC event, you must be able to answer each of the following questions with NO on the day of the event. If any answers are YES, you must notify the event leader that you will not be attending. Please ask yourself each of these questions prior to leaving your home:
▪ Have you experienced any of the following symptoms in the past seven days? (unusual persistent cough, unusual shortness of breath, fever above 100.4 F, chills, repeated shaking/chills, unusual muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea)?
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) been in close contact with anyone who has exhibited any of the above symptoms? (Close contact means within less than 6 feet for a prolonged period of time)
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or been advised to self-isolate by a medical professional due to COVID-19 reasons?
▪ Have you recently (in the past 14 days) travelled internationally?
● A face covering must be worn any time you are not able to maintain 6 feet of distance from others
● Participants must bring their own supplies to maintain proper hygiene, including hand sanitizer with a minimum 60% alcohol content and a face covering
● Group members are not to share or touch each other’s equipment, with exception of bow and stern toggles/handles to assist with launching, landing and loading boats (excluding members of the same family)
● Participants are not permitted to share food or drink during the event (excluding members of the same family)
● Restroom facilities may not be available during the event. Please use the restroom prior to arriving at the event and bring any personal supplies needed during the event
● When considering joining an event, please consider your personal skills relative to the event. For the courtesy and safety of all parties, please select only events well below your personal skill level
● Crowded landings because of other groups is an ever-present risk. Please be aware that this may occur at any time and PSC cannot control the actions or safety considerations of those other groups. Please act responsibly to avoid crowds at landings
● It is recommended that all participants have the ability to perform a self-rescue by either moving to shore or performing a solo deep-water rescue