The Forest Preserve District’s Hammel Woods Dam removal and modification project is about to begin.
As a result of this work:
- The Grinton Grove section of the preserve will be closed. Grinton Grove is the southernmost portion of the preserve off the Route 59 access area.
- A portion of the DuPage River Trail from Route 52 to the dam overlook will be closed. Trail closure signs will be put in place on the trail near Shorewood Grove.
- The section of the DuPage River that goes through Hammel Woods will not be open for boating or tubing as the dam work takes place.
- The portage area that exists now for boaters to go around the dam will be removed. A new canoe/kayak launch will be built downstream of the current launch prior to the old launch being removed.
- The parking lot adjacent to the dam site will be closed.
The Hammel Woods project in Shorewood is scheduled to begin in July and is expected to take three months and to be completed in October, but weather and other factors could affect this timeline.https://www.reconnectwithnature.org/News-Events/News/Hammel-Woods-Dam-Removal-and-Modification-Project